Owning a Business - Licensing & Taxation in the State of Hawaii

Owning a rental is akin to owning a business and, as such, you will have to pay General Excise Taxes (GET) on rental income and, additionally, Transient Accomodations Taxes (TAT) on short term vacation rental income.


The State of Hawaii has many resources that will assist in better understanding the licenses and taxes you will need to be aware of and that relate to your property rental:

Click here to visit the State of Hawaii website

Click here to visit Hawaii information on Starting a Business

Click here to access Forms and FAQs about General Excise Tax (GET) 

Click here for Forms FAQs about Transient Accomodations Tax (TAT)


*Information updated 2018 and subject to change without notice. Please visit hawaii.gov for the most accurate and updated information and forms.